I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Monday, October 31

salsa... finally

Several months ago I blogged about the Salsa Festival in the town of Maricopa where we sampled some really good, really different salsas. I challenged myself to "invent" a salsa with a unique ingredient by the end of summer. I know it is technically "fall" but since it is 90 degrees as I write this, I think I made the deadline!

I asked a lot of people what they thought a unique salsa ingredient would be and I kept getting the same answers: grapes, mango, pineapple, orange juice. And I steered clear of them! My salsa has not one, but two unique ingredients: pumpkin and pears! Before you turn up your nose at it, just try it.  I have taste-tested it on two different groups of unsuspecting people and they all liked it.

ingredients

You will need Ro-Tel tomatoes, canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling!), a pumpkin, a pear, lime juice, garlic, onion, cilantro, sugar, brown sugar, salt and cumin.

pumpkin pieces

Cut the pumpkin in half, then cut each half in half. Scoop out seeds and membranes before carefully removing the outer skin (shell?). You will end up with a lot of pieces; what you don't use in this batch of salsa will keep in a baggy in the refrigerator for several weeks for the next batch... and the next batch!

chopped pumpkin

Coarsely chop (I used a hand chopper) several pieces. Now the pumpkin is ready to use- although you can leave it out if pumpkins aren't in season or you don't want to spend the time prepping it. The pumpkin flavor comes from the canned pumpkin; the fresh pumpkin gives a bit of color and CRUNCH!

Kristin's Pumpkin & Pear Salsa

2 cans Ro-Tel tomatoes & green chilis, one mild and one original, not drained
½ cup canned pumpkin
1 TBSP chopped onion
½ tsp jarred minced garlic
½ tsp lime juice
1 ripe Bartlett pear- cored, peeled and cut into 1-in pieces
⅓ cup fresh cilantro leaves (more if you like cilantro-y salsa!)
⅓ cup chopped fresh pumpkin
⅓ tsp sugar
1½ TBSP brown sugar
⅛ tsp salt
⅛ tsp ground cumin

Put all ingredients in blender. Set on puree and pulse 4 or 5 times, or until desired consistency. Enjoy with your favorite tortilla chips. Makes about a quart of salsa.  © 2011

Let me know if you make this salsa- and how you like it. Suggestions are always welcome! 


chips 'n salsa
"Salsa has now passed ketchup as America's favorite condiment. Isn't that amazing? You know it's bad when even our vegetables  are starting to lose their jobs to Mexico."
~ Jay Leno on the Tonight Show

2 comments:

  1. Fue muy, muy bueno!! Thanks for sharing the recipe and for letting us be part of the taste test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... thanks! Don't tell anyone- you guys are my favorite testers!!

    ReplyDelete