I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Thursday, January 19

too casual??

Through the decades we, as a society, have become more casual in our attire. Most of the time, I think it's a good thing. Cleaning house in high heels and pearls like June Cleaver is just silly. Girls wearing dresses to school have a hard time playing on the jungle gym.  Having to wear pantyhose when it's 115 degrees outside is cruel and unusual punishment.

But occasionally I see something that just stops me in my tracks.

jammies & robe

If I was the Fashion Police, I would say that nothing even remotely goes together including her slippers. Aside from that, I tried to imagine what would cause a grown woman to wear jammies and a robe to the grocery store in the middle of the afternoon. Too sick to even pull on sweatpants and a t-shirt? A sorority hazing? A dare? 

Surely this must be such a rare occurrence that you wouldn't see it again in your lifetime.

Oh... wait...

jammies

Fast forward a couple of weeks to lunchtime at a fast food restaurant. The woman on the right has slippers  while the one on the left has a matching button-up pajama shirt. This is definitely sleepwear. And yes, they came in together.

This magnified casualness got me to thinking about things I'm increasingly more casual about. Like taking friendships for granted at times rather than actively participating in them. Or smiling and saying nothing rather than defending a Christian worldview. It's easier to be lazy, lounging around in indifference.

I think it's time to get dressed.


2 comments:

  1. In all fairness, I think that second grouping was possibly going to Polar Express.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They may have been going to Polar Express- but it starts at 6:00pm and this was noon-ish. And it was more than 50 miles away. I still maintain it is just laziness. Bringing pj's to change into takes a little effort and some planning... just not getting dressed in the morning is easier.

    ReplyDelete