I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Sunday, April 22

a rose by any other name...

Fifteen or so years ago, one of our neighbors (who has since moved) planted three large rose bushes in their front yard that produced a prodigious bounty of gorgeous yellow roses. Driving down the street was filled with anticipation: would there be new blooms? Walking past their house was like walking into a perfumery as the scent of roses filled my nostrils. I briefly toyed with the idea of planting my own rose bush so I could enjoy this "rosemania" any time I wanted but I thought that only "experienced gardeners" could grow them.

A few years ago another neighbor planted a small rose bush that produces beautiful roses... and lots of them... all the time. My "rosemania" was back with a vengeance! Claudia, my neighbor with the green thumb for roses, assured me that they were not extraordinarily difficult to grow; in fact, she said she mostly leaves her alone.

With that encouragement I decided to get over my fear of growing roses and try one small bush. Did you know there are THOUSANDS of different roses? How would I know which one to choose? I asked a kind woman at the nursery who took pity on my ignorance and guided me to "the hardier" ones that can take the heat and "don't require much care." Yep, she had my number!

rose bush
On March 18th, we bought this cute gal, a Granada rose bush, complete with one rose! 


The rose lasted several days before it needed to be cut off. Then some quite a few of the bottom leaves turned yellow. And then they started to fall off. I just knew this rose bush and I were doomed!

Suddenly, almost a month later, she had some new leaves (and they were GREEN!) and she generally looked better. And then I saw it!

new bud wbugs
A new bud was born! (April 13th)

I happily snapped about 10 photos of my first rose bud from different angles. Maybe we weren't doomed after all. But what are those pretty light green spots? Oh wait!! They move!! EWWWWW! We are doomed!

A couple of days later, all the bugs (aphids?) were gone. Either some other critter gobbled them up or they decided to move on to another rosebush. Whatever the case, I'm just glad they're gone!

new open bud
My now bug-free bud opened on April 20th- and is a different color than the one on the bush when I bought it. 

I should add that my rose bush has three other buds in various stages of development. We just might make it!

new rose
And she opened up on April 22nd!

While I am enjoying my little rosebush, I realize that the roses she produces are in spite of me, not because of me. Tried and true tips are welcome! I also realize she needs a name- suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. The only rose bush we have ever had came with the house in Payson. It has produced many beautiful flowers without any help from us. I have mentioned Laurie should prune it, but she always said no. This winter she decided to prune it (I did not say anything) and now it looks like the bush has died. So our tip would be to leave it alone and just enjoy what it produces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the story about your roses. What woman doesn't love roses-either growing in the yard or in a vase in the house. Your appreciation for all God's creations is a constant source of inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my name suggestion is Lexie's Lei

    ReplyDelete