I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Sunday, July 22

Arizona Eats & Treats #4... Bear Wallow Cafe

I wish I could claim that I found the Bear Wallow Cafe in the small mountain community of Alpine, Arizona all by myself. But I didn't. They were mentioned in an article listing 50 things to do in the White Mountains in the May 2012 issue of Arizona Highways. The article raved about their pie. Since we like to try "mom and pop" places and since we like pie and since we were in Alpine... we stopped in.

Bear Wallow Cafe Collage
The unpretentious Bear Wallow Cafe is a popular hang-out with the locals.

The Bear Wallow Cafe is very much a family-owned and operated establishment. Vada Davis and daughter Nataani Harper own and manage the Bear Wallow Cafe while her other daughter, Natalia, waits tables on weekends when she isn't busy with her own shop in Springerville. And all the grandchildren who are old enough work at the cafe. That's right- three generations doing it all, including teasing each other. 

As soon as we walked in, we were directed to sit anywhere and a busboy with an easy-going manner gave us water and asked where we were headed. It's the kind of place where tourists stand out. But also where tourists and locals alike feel like they are in their friend's kitchen eating a meal.

Natalia was our server and if she thought it odd that I took photos of my food and asked a million questions, she kept it to herself. She didn't mind talking about the cafe and was quite proud of the business her mom built over the decades. Although she joked about her sister being the "Pie Queen," it was apparent she was proud of her, too.

Taani makes pies... lots of pies... every single day. In fact, she makes at least 70 pies a week! They had seven different kinds the day we were there, all baked fresh that morning. Pies are tricky. The crust can become tough... or soggy... or too pale... or doesn't brown on the bottom. The dough can stick to the rolling pin. The fruit filling can be too runny... or too thick. It is why I buy my pies from Costco.

apple pie
♥ Taani's Apple Pie 

Without a doubt, Taani's pie was the best I've ever had. The crust was golden and flaky with just the right amount of crunchiness and chewiness. The filling was rich and flavorful with the perfect combination of spices. We were both coaxing every crumb onto our forks so we didn't miss a morsel.

I think it is probably a good thing that the Bear Wallow Cafe is five hours away. But I will make it a point to stop in every time I pass by! You can't miss it at the junction of US Routes 180 and 19 in Alpine.

No comments:

Post a Comment