I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Saturday, August 25

3/100... music makes my heart sing ♪♬♩♫

How do Arizonans stay cool in the extreme heat of the summer? One way is to take advantage of the free air conditioning in museums. Yes, most have an admission price but it's the same winter and summer so the ultra-cool air is free! During a recent heat wave when temperatures were above 110℉, I visited the Musical Instrument Museum (#3 on my "100 Things in Arizona" list) in Scottsdale.

MIM
The Musical Instrument Museum (or MIM, for short) is located in north Scottsdale just south of Loop 101 at Tatum Blvd.

The museum is laid out in two large wings with a connecting annex. Oh, and there are two floors that are open to the public. Yeah, it's huge! In fact, it is the biggest museum of its type in the world. I was told by several people that while it might be possible to see the entire museum in one day, it would be a very long day and probably quite over-whelming. When I arrived, I asked the docent at the front desk how to get the most out of my visit given that I had only three hours to spend there. After giving me a map and  a headset, he told me to walk through and stop at what looked interesting. 

Most of the displays are on the top floor but I did pass two rather large rooms on the first floor that I peeked in first. One had a magnificent display of guitars; some were very old, others were quite ornamental. It was fascinating to see so may different ones in the same room. The other room housed a display showing how instruments are made and how they have evolved over time. Both exhibits were interesting but I didn't want to spend too much time there - I will definitely look through those rooms again sometime!

MIM Collage-ed
I thought the double-necked guitar (top left) was interesting - I'd like to watch someone play one some time! The instrument on the bottom right is a Paigu (hourglass drum) - it would have had a drumhead tied to the hooks. It dates back to over 400 years BC and is the oldest object in MIM's collection.

After heading upstairs, I discovered much of the museum is laid out by country or region. The headsets are wireless and activate when you approach an audio/video screen at a display. I didn't have to punch in numbers that correspond to an exhibit or make sure I was "going in order" which I found helpful.

country exhibit 4
Most exhibits had an audio/visual screen where an instrument was demonstrated or talked about. If dancing or singing was part of their musical culture, that might be shown as well.


country exhibit
Some country exhibits were quite large or extensive while others were small. I walked fairly quickly through many of these and would like to come back later and spend more time.


country exhibit 3
I did spend a bit of time at the Trinidad and Tobago exhibit. Their music fascinates me because they have taken ordinary, everyday items like a metal trash can or a rum bottle and a spoon and used it to make music. And the steel drums are amazing! Although an extremely impoverished nation, their music is rich in color and expression.

Although he never played an instrument, my dad loved all kinds of music and often played records of great jazz musicians and military bands playing marches and country artists strumming guitars. He encouraged me to learn to play an instrument and suggested the flute because it's easy to carry (he was right about that!). I played from fourth grade through high school and developed my own love of music. I was delighted to find an exhibit just about flutes!

flutes
And none of them looked like mine! Some of these are played vertically like a clarinet and others are played horizontally like a modern flute.

One of my most favorite exhibits is the Arizona Exhibit, a very large room filled with all things that combine Arizona and music, from long ago as well as yesterday. Here are a couple of my favorite things:

ASU:UA Uniforms Collage-ed
The UofA - ASU rivalry began long ago and will continue, I think, forever. Even their marching band uniforms are across the hall from each other!


Wallace & Ladmo
Anyone born before 1975 who lived in the Phoenix area will be transported back to childhood when they see this exhibit. The Wallace & Ladmo Show aired on KPHO-Channel 5 for 35 years  and appealed to children as well as adults. Mike Condello was hired in 1960 as the show's music director and recorded several songs to the tunes of Beatles songs that were used on the show. And, of course, who can forget "Ho ho ha ha hee hee ha ha...!"? 

As I was walking from hall to hall, I heard someone playing a piano ... and doing it beautifully. At first I thought it was broadcast music but then I noticed it stopped and started as though someone was practicing. 

piano player
Museum guests are encouraged to tickle the ivories on the grand piano in the lobby area. Amazingly, I heard no one playing chopsticks or just messing around ... nothing but beautiful music came forth.

After my quick break listening to the piano music, I ventured into the Artist Gallery. What an incredibly fun place! It was like a walk down memory lane.

Pop Culture Collage-ed
I saw old friends like Toby Keith, Buck Owens and Elvis!

The mark of a great museum, in my opinion, is that it actively engages its visitors. MIM does this in the Experience Gallery where young and old alike are encouraged to bang a gong, strum a harp or play one of the other instruments on display there. 


test drive room
What a fun way to learn about music and instruments! I played the harp ... not well, but I played it!

Restoration is an important part of most museums' work. The Conservation Lab at MIM gives guests a glimpse of the behind the scenes preservation and restoration work they do to ensure the structural integrity of musical instruments and artifacts for future generations.

restoration room
No one was in the lab when I was there but it was interesting to see the facility.

In addition to displaying over 15,000 musical instruments from nearly 200 countries and territories around the globe, MIM also has a concert hall where you can listen to the music stylings of people like Sondre Lerche, Arturo Sandoval, the Red Rocks Music Festival Ensemble or a host of others. I peeked in the hall on my way out and look forward to coming back to hear a concert sometime.

In what seemed like no time at all, my three hours were gone and I needed to leave. I will definitely come back to explore this museum again ... and again. It is a place where you can learn something, listen to some great music and leave feeling revived. 

music quote
This quote is prevalent throughout the museum. As Henry Wadsworth Longfellow said, "Music is the universal language of mankind." It speaks to all people without translation.

Thumb Up or Down: UP!
Miles Round Trip: 63.3 miles
Miles To Date: 7577.5 miles
Percent of List Completed: 68%
Date of This Trip: July 26, 2012

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this place. It looks like something Matthew would enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he would enjoy it - I saw several moms with kids in strollers and they all (moms and kids) seemed to be enjoying thee museum. I will definitely go back!

      Delete