I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Tuesday, April 16

gift - part two

Do you have someone in your life that is impossible to find a gift for? My husband is that someone in my life. Several months ago I asked him what was on his birthday list. He hemmed and hawed before finally coming up with, "My sox are getting threadbare!" and "I need new wiper blades for my car." I agree that those things are important to have, but at this stage of our lives, they are not the kind of gifts I was looking to give my sweet hubby for his birthday. I was looking for a really special, knock-your-sox-off kind of gift.

Richard
My sweet hubby!

I asked myself what his favorite things are. That's easy - his family and his favorite amusement park. Hmmm. A family trip to his happy place? Naw... impossible to get everyone together at the same time right now. A framed photograph of us all there? Oh wait, we didn't take one of all of us when we were there five years ago. And then suddenly I remembered that a friend of ours is an artist... and the wheels began to turn.

April was a co-worker of my husband's (they are both engineers) for 20 years before she retired from that career and took up another one - art. She has been involved in art for most of her life, a hobby she loves and pursues. She now has time to actively cultivate a career in art and has become an award-winning watercolorist (The Art of April Rimpo).

I emailed April about the possibility and process of commissioning a painting. She was willing but needed more information from me as well as photographs depicting the scene I had in mind. This was easier said than done. I knew in my mind what I was looking for but didn't have photographs that were true to my vision. I sent her seven or eight photos with descriptions like "this but more muted colors and no pumpkins." In other words, like this but not. After our oldest daughter suggested we add our family to the painting, I also sent photos of everybody in completely different places.

April responded with three questions for me to answer: 1) Which of her paintings I like the best? 2) What colors do I associate with this place? and 3) What about her work draws me to it? After giving it some thought, I emailed her my responses. And then she went to work. You can read about her process in her blog post - it's really quite interesting. She used Photoshop to "sketch" out the painting and sent it to me to approve before paint ever touched watercolor paper. After seeing the "sketch," I could hardly wait to see the finished product!

The painting arrived in a few weeks rolled in a tube mailer. As I carefully unrolled it, my eyes got wide and a gasp escaped from my mouth. It was absolutely perfect and I knew my hubby would love it!

ARimpo-Commission-Details2
This section (the left third) of the painting has bystanders. What I think is funny is that they are real people who were in the photographs I sent April. It made me wonder if the people in other paintings I've seen are real people or figments of the artist's imagination.

ARimpo-Commission-Details1
This section (bottom right) of the painting shows our family. Although there isn't much facial detail, it is easy to pick out who's who! 

I got it framed and then painstakingly hid it under the guest room bed - I was certain he'd NEVER look there for anything! There was just one problem. His birthday was still two and a half months away! I wrapped both the painting and a dvd he wanted. And waited.

Finally, his birthday arrived. I put the wrapped dvd out alongside his card. After he opened them, I brought the painting out. He looked a little puzzled - like maybe he was wondering where his sox and wiper blades were.

Richard with his painting -ed
I blurred parts of the painting due to copyright issues but you can get the feel of the painting and see the joy on my hubby's face.

But when he opened it, his eyes lit up and a huge smile spread across his face. And I knew it was exactly what he wanted. He just didn't know it!



8 comments:

  1. I think there was more than eyes lighting up and a huge smile..... ;) My print came today and it's amazing!!! I'm excited to get it framed and hang it up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh... you know your dad so well! It is an amazing painting - I'm glad you like it!!

      Delete
  2. That was an awesome gift and so creative for her to mix all the photos into one painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - although I guess my only contribution was having an idea! LOL! April is a very gifted artist, in part because she is both right- and left-brained. I'm sure her "art-making" is an interesting process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knowing both of you also made the painting one I really enjoyed doing since I knew it would be cherished if I succeeded in capturing your vision. Your idea was a great one Kristin and I am so delighted that he loves the result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed painting it - I think it shows in the end result. The only problem, April, is that I don't think I'll ever be able to top it in the gift-giving department! =)

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful idea! I love it! It looks like that spot in California you guys like to visit, right? Hope one day I can see the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, Jen, it is that place we visit as often as we can. Stop by any time - Richard loves to show it to people. A digital copy of it is his desktop on his work computer and he has showed absolutely EVERYBODY he works with, the woman who cuts our hair and her customer, ...

      Delete