I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Monday, September 9

lovin' summer #11... and the end

When you live in a desert, rain is like dessert... with whipped cream and a cherry on top. And this summer the Valley of the Sun had slightly more rain than average! I love watching a good rainstorm... and I especially love the way the desert air smells when it's over. It may not happen often, but it's worth the wait!

rain collage
It amuses me that a scant quarter-inch of rain becomes the lead news story on all local channels with multiple reporters covering "the storm!" But, to be fair, rain in the desert is news and we all share it via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. We send our kids outside to play in the rain and the puddles. We even dance around in the rain. Why? Because it's something different and it's fun.

This post marks the end of my "Lovin' Summer" series for this summer. I know. It is officially summer until September 22nd when fall begins. At least that's what my calendar says. Retailers, of course, think fall begins in July when they clear out the summer stuff and put out fall/winter things. In my mind, summer is over right after Labor Day when all the kids are back in school, football season begins and, perhaps most importantly, Pumpkin Spice Lattes are available.

Looking - sometimes REALLY hard - for things to be thankful about summer helped me focus on what's positive about it rather than on what I don't always like about it -namely, the heat. It helped me appreciate things that only happen during the summer. It reminded me that with the heat comes fun things.

And speaking of the heat, the hottest day of the summer in Phoenix was June 29th with a record-breaking 119 degrees. And with an average humidity of just 14%, it was a very dry heat! I always like to get the worst out of the way at the beginning. The coolest high temperature occurred July 21st with a mere 87 degrees. Of course, the average humidity that day was 75%! Yeah, not so pleasant.

But even so....

I LOVE SUMMER!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment