I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Wednesday, March 12

wacky wednesday - people, it's a bucket!

People have been having babies since… well, since Adam and Eve. And, in the beginning, what one needed for a baby was pretty basic. But now new parents (and grandparents!) are bombarded with the latest and greatest baby paraphernalia. Some things are absolute must-haves - a carseat and a place for baby to sleep, for example. Others, like a jumper seat, are in the nice-to have-but-not-essential category. And then there are the money-wasters - wipe warmers would be one example, in my opinion.

I was walking through a local baby store and saw these.

baby bucket
What you can't read underneath "washPOD" is "The most natural way to bathe baby!" What is "natural" about sticking your baby in a bucket to bathe them?

Apparently they are all the rage in Europe. Proponents of them claim it simulates being in the womb for the baby. Really? I'm pretty sure uteruses are not made of hard plastic and there are no bright lights in there. They are recommended for ages newborn through six-months. It is not easy to hang on to a wet newborn IN A PLASTIC BUCKET FULL OF SOAPY WATER!

Now imagine my surprise when I discovered you can order adult-sized inflatable bath pods! I love a long soak in a hot tub probably more than most folks - but not scrunched up in a bucket! And I just don't believe that a baby likes it either. Call me old-fashioned but I think a plain ol' bathtub is just fine - for baby and for me.

4 comments:

  1. What is wrong with using the kitchen sink? On the other hand, a wipe warmer does sound really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitchen sinks are fine - until they outgrow it. Actually, we used the kitchen sink until our kids were about 3 months old - then it was the bathtub. What did you use?

      Delete
    2. Since Mike did not respond to your question, I will do so now - a year and a half later :). We used a baby bathtub until Matt outgrew it - probably around 3 months - then the tub. I would think bathing a baby in a bucket would not be safe. Enjoyed this post. There are so many things on the market to make our lives more convenient, but, when you find your house is so full of stuff, you can't move, how convenient is that?

      Delete
  2. I agree, Laurie, especially when the convenience item is something that is rarely used but takes up space. Convenience definitely has a price!

    ReplyDelete