I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Wednesday, September 17

wacky wednesday - weird light

You know the light that streams down through the clouds producing shafts of light that look eerie? Some people call it "the God light" because it looks like God is opening up the sky and His glory and majestry are streaming through.

God  Light

It puts a smile on my face whenever I get a glimpse of it. I love the unexpectedness of it - a complete surprise.

A few weeks ago I experienced a different kind of "lighting surprise" that left me wondering how it came to be. But let me start at the beginning.

After lunch as I was cleaning up some dishes, I glanced out the kitchen window at a birdbath in our yard. It was an anniversary gift from my parents to my grandparents when I was a child - I think I was eight at the time. That makes the birdbath about 50 years old and I was wondering how much longer it would last. 

And then my thoughts turned to my grandparents who had lived with us at the time. I remembered my grandmother braiding my hair before I went to school and fixing me ice cream for an after-school snack and teaching me how to play gin rummy and crazy eights. I remembered my grandfather oiling the chain on my bike and listening to me practice my reading as I read the newspaper to him and showing me the "proper way to eat waffles - with peanut butter and syrup!" They have been gone for decades now but the memories are fresh.

I finished the dishes and went on with my day. In the late afternoon (early evening?), while I was getting dinner ready, I again glanced out the window and saw the birdbath. But this time it was as if a spot light had been turned on it.

bird bath

The birdbath has been in this spot for 20+ years and we have NEVER seen it lit up like this before. I asked my geeky husband (and I mean that in the most affectionate way!) what would cause this lighting. The birdbath is along the north wall which means the sun was setting to the left (west) of it. He said it might be reflected light off the back windows of the house although it didn't look like light was hitting those windows. 

Or maybe it really is God light and I got an incredible gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment