I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Wednesday, December 31

wacky wednesday - lessons from 2014

Many people spend some time at the end of the year reflecting on events (vacations, births, deaths and the like) that occurred during the last 12 months. I like to think about the lessons I've learned or been reminded of as I was living life during the year.

LESSONS FROM 2014

1.  There is beauty everywhere, even in the middle of a desolate desert in the middle of nowhere.

Sunset #1

Our trip to Death Valley National Park in August (yes, it was hot!) reminded me that there is beauty everywhere if you look for it. One evening as we were waiting for sunset, the scorching sun broke through some clouds and shined "God light" on the salt flats below making them shimmer. Instantly the scene changed giving us a glimpse of the breath-taking beauty in the desert.

2.  Holding a baby is good for your well-being.

1411_Hannah_430.jpg

Studies show that most adults holding a non-crying baby have higher levels of endorphins, lower cortisol (the stress hormone) levels and lower blood pressure than the same adults without a baby in their arms. They smile more often. Holding our newest granddaughter, Hannah Beckett, certainly makes me smile!

3.  You sometimes become more child-like as you get older.

minifigs collage

This year I began collecting Lego minifigures (or minifigs) after I read an article about photographing them. It's fun to put them together and play with them as I pose them. And apparently I'm younger than I think since our seven-year old grandson, Ben, told me that I "play with baby Legos - you know, the ones for ages four and up!"

4.  It's good to take time to enjoy the simple things.

Ellie & Snow

Our granddaughter, Ellie (age one), squealed and squeaked with abandoned delight as the "snow" (more like shave ice!) fell at the zoo. Her enthusiasm was contagious and pretty soon we were all laughing. It made me wonder how often my excitement or happiness as I "stop to smell the roses" rubs off on others.

5.  Trying new things helps us grow, even if it isn't perfect.

POTD collage

On January 18th, 2014 I began a photography 365 project. The idea is to take a photo every day using a list of prompts. Early each morning the day's prompt was emailed to me and I began thinking about what I would photograph and how. I learned to think outside the box as my photography skills improved. Many months I didn't miss a single day (like July above). But other months life got in the way and I missed a day or two here and there (like October above). At first I felt like I had ruined the project by missing a day but I came to realize that the project still had value and the vacant spots represent days I was busy doing something else. And, as I look back at the entire year, there weren't that many days I missed taking a photo - it's all perspective!

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment