I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Wednesday, May 13

wacky wednesday - perspective

For a little over a year, I have been participating in a photo 365 project called Capture Your 365. The idea is to take a photograph every single day. One reason to do that is to learn to take better photos. Another is to learn to use your camera. But I think the best reason is to notice and document your everyday life. (But all of this is a blog post for another day!)

The daily prompt on Monday was "Bottoms Up - Base, Foot, Underside." I contemplated what I would shoot as I washed dishes. I like photographing flowers and the agapanthus in my backyard was starting to bloom. Hmmm.

Agapanthus flowers are simply gorgeous once they've opened. And I have many photos of them over the course of the years. But I don't have any shot from the bottom side.

It takes several days for them to completely open and "fluff out." Mine are in the beginning stage where they have just broken free from the "pod" but the papery thin "pod" is still attached. This "Underside" would be my photo of the day (POTD).

Laying on the kool-deck looking up at the underside of the agapanthus bloom gave me an interesting perspective. I could see the purplish striations in the papery thin "pod" that aren't visible when you view it from the top. I also noticed how each individual "petal" (or is it a "flower?" I am NOT a botanist or a gardner!) bends upward. Again, this is not something that is apparent from a top view.


flower perspective #2

Standing up, I shot a top view looking straight down. Hmmm. It looks similar, but different. The "petals" are more clustered showing more purple and less green. And the "pod" looks like a piece of onion skin.

flower perspective #1

Finally, I sat on the kool-deck and shot from the side. What a different perspective! I could see both the purplish striated underside of the "pod" as well as the white on the top-side. And the "petals" look much longer. And there is a baby grasshopper on one of them!

flower perspective #3

As I was shooting my agapanthus from different positions, I thought about how perspective applies to more than just photography. If my agapanthus flower were an idea or opinion, carefully looking at it from different angles and sides would give me a new perspective. It would allow me to think more critically and objectively, to really understand someone else's point of view.

Something to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment