I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Thursday, April 28

thankful thursday - wind chimes

Wind chimes are something you either really like... or absolutely don't like. There aren't many people in the "take 'em or leave 'em" camp.

As a child, I loved to listen to the wind chimes on our patio. They often lulled me to sleep as I listened to their sweet, ever-changing melody. As an adult, I still enjoy listening to them when the windows are open. Or we're sitting on the patio or swimming in the pool. And even now their calming tones relax my mind as I fall asleep.

Over the years I have acquired a small collection of them. We received our first one as a wedding gift from the parents of a friend of ours. It is really more decorative than musical but is loved because it marks the beginning of our married life together.

windchime #1
This beauty has hung on the patios of each of the three homes we've owned.


Others play beautiful music together, the tempo depending on the speed of the wind. Their "voices" blend together creating beautiful melodies.

windchime collage
Each of these wind chimes has its own story about how they came to be ours. The one on the left was my Mother's Day gift from our daughters and their families several years ago. The middle one was regifted to me from the person I gave it to - long story! And the left one was given to me as sort of a gag gift - but I love it!

I have two handcrafted wind chimes made just for me. Their melodies are much more muted, but their sentiment sings loudly! And I love that they are examples of up-cycling.

windchime #2 collage
The wind chime on the left was made for me by my North Carolina sweethearts. It hangs in my kitchen and I smile every time I look at it. The one on the right was made by my North Carolina son-in-law. I wondered why we were saving bottle caps every time I visited - but now I smile and remember sweet memories from my visits when I hear or see it on my patio!

I think the reason I like wind chimes so much is that they remind me of unseen things. I can't see the wind but I can see and hear the effect of wind. Similarly, I can't see the Holy Spirit but I can see His work in my life and the lives of others. Watching the pieces sway in the wind and listening to the soothing sounds reminds me of the people in our lives who are no longer with us. 

Some day I would like to visit the world's largest wind chime in Casey, Illinois. It's over 50 feet tall with the longest chime measuring 42 feet!  But for now, I am content with enjoying mine.

5 comments:

  1. Someday you'll visit the world's largest?? It can't be thaaaaaaat far out of the way.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, someday. It is too far off our path for this trip... but you should always leave a place wanting to come back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you write, Kristin. I felt like I could hear the wind chimes ringing. I used to have some wind chimes outside, but they moved inside one year and now just look lovely. I don't remember now if we moved them in for winter or if maybe I have some here at home who doesn't like the sound. hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, April. Whether wind chimes are inside or outside, they can be enjoyed and appreciated. I've always wondered how they weather outside in cold, snowy climates. Do they freeze? How is the sound different if there are blobs of snow/ice on the pipes or clanger? Always something to ponder...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete