I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Thursday, August 11

thankful thursday - light

This is my last "thankful Thursday" post. I have enjoyed posting something I'm thankful for every week for the past year - I hope you have, too. But now I'm looking forward to random posting - it might be a "Wacky Wednesday" (remember those?) or "Thankful Thursday" post or something totally different - like a restaurant review or someplace I've visited or something about my sweethearts. I will post weekly (or more often) but not necessarily on a specific day. Check back often - you don't want to miss anything!


I never thought much about light until I started dabbling in photography. It was either light or it was dark; I could see or I couldn't. When it got dark, it was time to turn on some lights.

helix

But as I have learned more about photography, I realize how important light is. I have "discovered" all kinds of light, both natural and artificial - filtered, direct, indirect, bright, not bright, soft, harsh. And then there's directionality of the light - backlighting, side-lighting, overhead lighting.

Untitled

Light provides ambiance, it creates a mood. In photography, it helps us see more of the picture (pun intended ;-)). It enhances the story being told.

flashlight fun

And as I dabble deeper into photography, I am learning to look at light... all the time... even when I don't have my camera. I see beauty in the light. I think about light A LOT... how it enriches our lives, sometimes in ways we don't even give a second thought. Or how different light, like using a flash, could completely change a scene or photograph.

God  Light

The more I thought about light, I came to realize it is a gift from God. He created it and declared it "good." (Genesis 1:3-5). And I absolutely agree. 

Not that darkness is "bad."  It serves a purpose. Our bodies recognize it as a time to rest. Some plants ONLY bloom at night, in the dark.

I have only been in absolute, complete, total darkness for about a minute when they turned off the lights in a cave and it was disorienting, bordering on scary. And I didn't like it very much. 

Yes, I much prefer "light!" In fact, I would say I need light. And that makes me appreciate the gift all the more!


2 comments:

  1. You soud like an artist, Kristen. Light is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, April. Light really is everything. I think capturing it (and not having it look flat) in painting is more difficult than in photography, although it can sometimes be elusive. It's fun to look for it, though!

    ReplyDelete