I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Thursday, May 26

Arizona Eats & Treats #1- Essence Bakery Cafe

I have written several posts about Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives recommended by Food Network host Guy Fieri that we have tried. They are always great places... we haven't found one yet that we didn't like. The only problem is that an overwhelming majority of them are east of the Mississippi River. I am quite sure there are a great many unique eateries, as yet "undiscovered," in the west and my goal is to find as many in Arizona as I can. While there are many wonderful eating establishments in Arizona, I am seeking out the stand-alone place (not a chain) with a unique quality or menu item. And who knows... maybe someday the Food Channel will pay me to drive around the country critiquing restaurants! LOL!

My friend suggested Essence Bakery Cafe for lunch the other day, a place neither of us had tried before. After circling the parking lot twice to find a spot to park, I figured it was probably a pretty good place. What I didn't expect was just how good it was!

essence bakery
Essence is a small place in a strip center in Tempe... very easy to drive right past it but worth the stop!

What sets Essence Bakery Cafe apart from the crowd is that they use local, seasonal, organic ingredients to create their out-of-this-world fare. Paris-trained chef/owner Eugenia Theodosopoulos uses European and Greek influences in her menu creating one-of-a-kind dishes as well as comfort food. I had a grilled cheese sandwich... unlike any other I've ever had! The description- "Grilled brioche bread with fresh mozzarella, Wilcox-grown tomatoes and organic basil"- sounded yummy and the first bite confirmed it. It is a simple sandwich done with style.

grilled cheese
My sandwich was served with a green salad- the balsamic vinaigrette dressing added just the right amount of twang!

Essence IS a bakery and we would be remiss in not trying one of their pastries. They are well-known for their macarons (with one "O"- not the coconut-y cookies), a sandwich-like French pastry filled with chocolate ganache or flavored pastry cream. My friend had the chocolate macaron; I opted for the pink grapefruit one. Both were... fabulous!

dessert & Dawn
While the macarons look pretty ordinary just sitting on the plate, the flavors and textures are extraordinary!

This little gem of an eatery won't stay a secret for long. If you go- carpool and be sure to save room for dessert! 

No comments:

Post a Comment