I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Wednesday, December 21

just a bit of CHRISTmas...

What candy says Christmas to you? For me, it's a red- and white-striped candy cane. Each year I buy several boxes; some hang on our Christmas tree and others are available for munching.

candy cane

There are quite a few legends and urban myths surrounding the origin of candy canes and all the ones I read  have been deemed "false" by Snopes.com, my go-to myth-buster website. But still, I see symbolism in this sweet confection. It is shaped like a shepherd's hook, reminding me of the Good Shepherd, Jesus, who knows His sheep by name. The white stripes remind me of His virgin birth and purity; the red ones of the blood He shed for the sins of the world. Its strong peppermint flavor reminds me of the spices the Wise Men brought to honor the Messiah. A candy cane is hard reminding me that Jesus is my Rock, my firm foundation. 

Yep, I see much more than just a simple sugary treat; I see another way to keep CHRIST in CHRISTmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment