I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Wednesday, May 7

wacky wednesday - who would use this?

It is no secret that I like to peruse the Skymall Magazine when I am restrained on a plane for hours at a time. I recently came across an item, like so many others, that left me wondering who would buy it. And then I began to research it a bit.

This is the item:

cufflinks

Can you tell what they are? They are fully functional 2GB USB flash drive cufflinks (silver-plated) and they retail in the Skymall Magazine for $100. Seriously. Their ad says that the flash drive cufflinks "make it possible for you to keep your must have presentations and documents with you wherever you go." 

Who wears cufflinks today? According to several articles I read discussing dress codes in the financial industry, only vice presidents and above wear French cuff dress shirts and cufflinks. Apparently it is a right of passage kind of thing. Cufflinks are also appropriate for "black tie" functions - think "Bond... James Bond." 

According to the limited research I did, most men do not wear cufflinks. And those who do probably don't want gimmicky ones. Presidents and CEOs of Fortune 500 companies have staff to keep track of their "must have presentations and documents." I just cannot see a senior executive telling underlings or clients, "Wait just a sec while I get my cufflink off so I can plug it in my laptop and proceed with the presentation." And if he does it prior to the start of the meeting, is his sleeve cuff just flapping open without a cufflink to hold it closed? That would be classy.

So that leaves James Bond and his fellow spies to wear these cufflinks. And I doubt they are buying them through Skymall Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment