I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Wednesday, April 30

wacky wednesday - lego mania

From the time our kids were about five, they loved playing with Legos. We often had every Lego set we owned (and we had a lot!) dumped out in the middle of our living room, which at the time had no furniture, with the neighborhood kids working on some massive Lego project. It seems kids of all ages enjoy building things (not "playing!") with Legos.

It was no surprise to me when The Lego Movie opened in theaters in February, 2014 and became an instant success. We saw it shortly after it came out and I must admit, it is in my top three favorite animated movies. The main character, Emmett, is an ordinary guy who is thought to be "the Special" and must save the Lego universe from Lord Business. Several superheroes, Barbie, C3PO, Gandolf, Abraham Lincoln, William Shakespeare, the Statue of Liberty and a host of other characters - all Lego mini-figures - make appearances. I won't give away the movie but I strongly encourage everyone to see it.

I must admit, however, that I was a more than a little surprised to discover photographing Lego mini-figures is a genre of its own and has quite a following of very talented photographers. Earlier this year I decided to try a 365 photo project (basically you take a photo every day for a year) and was flabbergasted to find photographing a Lego mini-figure as one of the genres (along with phoneography and several others) used every month. Capture Your 365 has some great tips and examples of Lego photography as does the blog A Lego A Day (Dan no longer posts on that blog but scroll down to the bottom for some fabulous and often amusing Lego photos).

Not one to be left out of the fun, I decided to give it a whirl. And promptly discovered it is a lot harder than it looks! And to do it well requires equipment I don't have... yet. But I also discovered it is a lot of fun!

Buzz
Can you guess what the specific photo prompt was?

In 2002 Lego changed their slogan from "Just imagine..." to "Play On!" I think both are accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment