I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Wednesday, June 3

wacky wednesday - a new language

.  .

Can you read these two sentences? I looked at the funny little icons for a good ten minutes trying to decipher them. And I must admit, I wasn't even close to the meaning.

Emoji... the new language of social media. 

It started innocently enough with just a few "smiley faces" or emoticons which were actually helpful in showing tone in written text messages. Were you being snarky  or "over the moon"  when you texted "Love you!" to your best friend? 

Emoji, which in Japanese means "picture character," are little pictures that represent words or emotions. Soon, emojis for everyday objects, people, animals, you name it began showing up. There are now nearly 900 emojis with new ones being added almost daily.

Some of my friends string lots of emoji together to create a thought or mood. Unfortunately, most of the meaning is lost on me. But I do enjoy looking at the cute pictures. Many of my friends, and me, use them sparingly in short messages to add flavor, color or emotion. But whether you use them or not, love them or hate them, all indications are that emoji is here to stay. 

So, did you figure out the sentence at the top? It says, "I pride myself on being good at expressing myself in words and even photography. But I'm ashamed of how bad I am at writing in emoji."

No comments:

Post a Comment