I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Wednesday, June 17

wacky wednesday - my pineapple plant progress

Almost two years ago I planted the top of a pineapple to see if I could grow a pineapple plant in the desert. Okay, it's in my house, not outside in the sweltering dry heat of an Arizona summer. But the point is, I wanted to see if growing a pineapple was possible. You can read that post here.

pineapple plant just planted

Last summer I wrote a post about the progress of my pineapple plant. It had finally, after much coaxing, started to grow.

Pineapple Plant

I was excited thinking it wouldn't be long before a tiny little pineapple started to grow on a stalk shooting up from the center of the plant. At least that's what I was told would happen.

Yeah, that didn't happen.

What did happen was my pineapple plant took off and is growing like a weed!

pineapple plant 2015

Although it still has some of the original crown leaves, my pineapple plant has sprouted quite a few new leaves. It's "leaf-span" is about 48-inches by 36-inches by 24-inches high.

In the fields in Hawaii, pineapple plants grow to six feet by six feet before producing fruit but as a "houseplant" they generally produce fruit (often smaller) when they reach a height of 24 to 28 inches. Winter is their fruit-bearing season and according to the internet, there are several methods to "force" them to produce fruit.

Maybe next summer we'll have a home-grown pineapple.

Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment