I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Thursday, January 21

thankful thursday - the arts

Earlier this week I went to Lunchtime Theater at the Herberger Theater in Phoenix with one of my more adventurous friends. For just $12.60, we get a delicious box lunch and a 50-minute performance. We've seen one-act plays, musical revues, song and dance shows and more!

Dawn and I have been attending Lunchtime Theater three or four times a year for the past several years and while we have enjoyed every performance we've seen, this most recent one was extraordinary! Operantics is opera for those who love opera, those who hate opera and those who don't know. In other words, it's for everybody! The music was hauntingly beautiful, the talent of the singers was phenomenal and after watching/listening to this show, I think I would like to see an entire opera - something new for my bucket list!

After the show the audience was invited to sit back and watch another show - FOR FREE! - as part of Herberger Theater's Outreach and Education program. It was presented by Un Corazon Flamenco and featured authentic flamenco dancers.

Hmmm. This could be interesting. And something I had never seen before.

It was absolutely entrancing! The owner of the studio performed as well as one of her students, a 10-year old girl. The skill, endurance, precision, and strength these dancers possess is incredible. We learned a little about the technique, some about the costuming, and even something about the instruments. There were two things that I thought were quite interesting: the musicians (guitar and percussion) follow the dancers, not the other way around like most other forms of dance and it is rated the second hardest dance form (she did not say what the hardest one is ;-)) due to the muscular strength and control the dancers possess, the counting, and the improvisation involved.

Flamenco Collage

This young lady is considered a PROFESSIONAL for competitions. We very much enjoyed her professionalism, talent and heart for flamenco!

I am thankful God has gifted us with talents like the ability to sing or dance. I am thankful that people develop these talents and share them with others. I am thankful for public and private schools that still teach the arts to our children.  

No comments:

Post a Comment