I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Thursday, February 4

thankful thursday - a garden in my house

Colorful flowers are abundant year round in Arizona. A few bloom all year long, but most are either winter varieties or summer ones. Either way, they are a sweet respite when I'm outside.

A couple of years ago I wondered if I could grow flowers inside my house. I knew it can be done but I don't have a particularly green thumb. Could I really do it?

Throwing caution to the wind, I bought a miniature rose bush, potted it in a medium-sized pot and placed it on my kitchen window sill. It thrived and bloomed! Over and over and over again. Two years later, it is still blooming like crazy. I think it likes the coffee grounds I put on it! ;-)

Feeling a little bolder, I bought a hyacinth bulb in a vase last year. It grows in water and requires very little care. And, lo and behold, it bloomed, too! The down-side to this plant, though, is that after it blooms, it's done. But I got another one this winter just because they are very pretty and smell soooo good!

Feeling my thumb becoming a tad greener, I bought a flowering bromeliad, potted it and placed it in my living room. It seems to be happy by the window and has a beautiful red bloom.

indoor flower collage

I am thankful for my inside garden - it brings a smile to my face and joy to my heart as it reminds me how creative our Creator is and that He blesses me with beautiful flowers every day. 

2 comments:

  1. I put coffee grounds on my outside miniature rose bush. It will be 2 years old in May, if it survived the winter. I never thought about growing one inside. Maybe I will try that so I don't have to worry so much about my outside one when it gets below freezing (which happened a lot this winter).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should, Laurie! They are so easy!! Does your outside rose bush prefer one kind of coffee over another? Mine REALLY like Kona coffee - they have good taste!

      Delete