I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Saturday, April 17

Maryland Bound... Day Five

What is the difference between a farm and a ranch? I thought farms were agricultural and ranches were livestock. We saw cattle ranches in Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri and horse farms in Kentucky. Perhaps one of my ag friends can answer that for me? And while they are at it, I'd like to know why hay is baled in blocks in Arizona but the midwest rolls hay...

Our drive through Kentucky was stunning! I could easily live there I think... on a 50 acre horse farm... with miles of white picket fences... and a red barn! The gently rolling hills with wide open meadows were breath-taking. We passed a thoroughbred retirement farm... and laughed because most of the old horses were laying down- guess they were tired!

I wonder what stories these retired thoroughbreds could tell? 
"Is not wisdom found among the aged? Does not long life bring understanding?" Job 12:12

When we checked into our hotel last night in Louisville, Richard was quite disappointed to learn that Guy Fieri (of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives fame on the Food Network) had been there that morning for a charity fund-raiser and we had missed having him cook for us. So today for lunch we went to one of the places he showcased once on his tv show- you can decide if it's a "Diner," "Drive-In" or "Dive!"


Hillbilly Hot Dogs is located on the Ohio River in Lesage, West Virginia.

Yep, they serve the hot dogs out of the back of a school bus...

"Are you sure you want to eat here?"

I had a Buckeye Dog- "homemade sauce, mustard and slaw." 
It may have been the best hot dog I've ever had!

Richard had a Pizza Dog- "Pizza sauce all over the weenie, smothered with shredded cheese and melted. Then we take the pepperoni, fry it up and put it on top." He said it was delicious!

We give Hillbilly Hot Dogs two thumbs up each- and will definitely stop by again if we're in the area. The drive through West Virginia was uneventful... though not as pretty as other states. It seemed like they were still having winter since most of the trees had not budded yet- and there was a definite nip in the air! We traveled along I-77 into Virginia and then onto I-81 into Roanoke, Virginia. The last 60 miles or so were a "scenic road" between the Appalachian Mountains and the Blue Ridge Mountains- gorgeous views! Today's drive was 501.1 miles.

The Appalachian Mountains on the west side of I-81. 
Compared to the Rocky Mountains, these are hills!

The Blue Ridge Mountains (Hills?) on the east side of I-81.



No comments:

Post a Comment