I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Saturday, October 30

A Plague?

Last winter the east coast had record amounts of snow prompting many to say Snowmageddon had arrived. This year it has been record numbers of stink bugs causing many to call it a plague. I thought they were being a tad bit over-dramatic... until I saw one... IN OUR APARTMENT!

stink bug
Halyomorpha halys... also known as Brown Marmorated Stink Bug
(Okay, so I had to use my big zoom lens to shoot this guy...)

Stink bugs were first spotted in the United States in Pennsylvania in 1998. They are an agricultural pest native to China, Japan, Korea and Hong Kong with no (not even one) predators in North America. Researchers believe they gained entry into the US in packing crates from Asia. Adults are typically just shy of an inch long (although I'm sure the one in our apartment was much bigger!) and pose no threat to humans (other than scaring them to death!). The name "stink bug" comes from the scent glands located on the abdomen and thorax which emit an odiferous scent when they are squished. Have I mentioned they have no predators in the US? In the fall stink bugs seek indoor shelter (like a barn, silo, house, garage) where they go into a hibernation-like state for the winter. Thousands of them often completely cover a building, particularly the doors and windows where they try to gain entrance through small cracks. Have I mentioned they have no predators in the US? Each year the stink bug population increases. Yikes, this is sounding more and more like a plague.

God sent ten plagues on Egypt when the Israelites were captive there. Three of the plagues were insects: gnats, flies and locusts. "All the dust throughout the land of Egypt became gnats." (Exodus 8:17) "Dense swarms of flies poured into Pharaoh's palace and into the houses of his officials, and throughout Egypt the land was ruined by the flies." (Exodus 8:24) "[Locusts] invaded all Egypt and settled down in every area of the country in great numbers. Never before had there been such a plague of locusts, nor will there ever be again. They covered all the ground until it was black.  They devoured all that was left after the hail- everything growing in the fields and the fruit on the trees. Nothing green remained on tree or plant in all the land of Egypt." (Exodus 8:13-15) 

Wow! Those were plagues; what we have is an infestation. It is so easy to get swept up in the media-driven panic and fear and then to spread that fear as I talk about "this plague" with friends and family. But then I remember what Isaiah 41:10 says- "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." My heart quits racing and becomes calm. As Richard removed the stink bug I thought of things to be thankful for- there was only ONE (and it's the ONLY one we've seen), Richard was home to take care of it, and God is gracious and calms my fear.

1 comment: