I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Thursday, January 30

50 shades of summer - august (part 3)

At least two things happen when I do things with friends: time flies and there is much laughter. The next five things we did in August on my 50 shades of summer list were things that are more fun doing with other people - playing games, swimming, hosting a party and learning how to do something.

We love to play games but often get stuck in a rut playing the same few games all the time. I play Words With Friends quite a bit but it has been years since I played an actual game of Scrabble (#4 on my list). And although we like card games, we generally play the same two - Uno or Phase Ten - so it was definitely time to play a new card game (#32). Our friends, Mike and Laurie, were good sports and played not one but two games of Scrabble with us when we went to the Grand Canyon. And before that they taught us a new card game, Euchre - a four-player trump game. It's fun and pretty easy to learn. Before we knew it, we were hooked!

games collage
Fun & games!

We used to go swimming at night all the time, especially when the kids lived at home. For some reason, we just don't go when it's the two of us which is why a late night swim (#42) made the list. Our grandson, Christopher, spent two weeks with us and couldn't wait to swim at night - something he had NEVER done before - so we had quite a few night-time swims while he was here. 

night swim
The darkness and quietness make night-time swimming more serene and relaxing - the perfect way to end the day. And yes, we really got in the pool with him ;-)

I read somewhere that hosting an impromptu party is fun and less stressful than planning a big, elaborate affair. The tips were to keep it simple and to invite a lot of people since there isn't a lot of notice. After deciding on a  "Make-Your-Own Sundae" party (#35), I posted the invitation on my Facebook page six or seven days before the big day. About a dozen people were able to make it and we laughed and talked as we ate our sweet, creamy concoctions.

ice cream sundae party
I was having such a good time that I totally forgot to take any photos of the ice cream sundaes - but everyone seemed to have a good time!

After visiting a pineapple plantation in Hawaii five years ago, I wanted to try growing a pineapple (#48) but "hadn't had time"to do it - until now. I enlisted the help of Mike & Laurie who lived in Hawaii for six years. They knew how to do it "the Hawaiian way" and I found different directions online. Mike twisted the top off a Tropicana pineapple while I cut the top off a Del Monte pineapple. We then placed each top in a shallow pan of water. That was where the similarity between the directions ended. My online directions said to remove the top from the water after three days and plant it in potting soil. Mike & Laurie said to wait until the top had sprouted roots and then plant it; it took seven days for roots to sprout. 

pineapple plant collage
The pineapple plant on the left is the Del Monte one I planted using the internet directions and I used Mike & Laurie's "recipe" for the Tropicana one on the right.  Both were placed placed inside by a window. Now we wait a couple of years to see if we get a baby pineapple! 

Note: An advantage to waiting so long to post this is I can now tell you that the Del Monte one turned brown immediately after planting it (perhaps because it had not sprouted roots before planting?) - and completely bit the dust when Richard forgot to open the shade when he was home alone - in other words, it was sun-deprived. However, five months later, the Tropicana one still looks great and is getting bigger!



No comments:

Post a Comment