I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Wednesday, May 5

birds of a feather...

The morning dawned crisp and cool and I decided to take advantage of this beautiful spring day by strolling along Lake Kittamaqundi. I packed my camera bag and headed to the path outside our apartment complex. Those who know me know I love to take macro photos of flowers... and indeed, I did shoot about a dozen or so. And then I heard a most distinctive sound coming from above me. "HONNNKKK!!  HOONNNKK!!" I whipped off my macro lens, switched to a zoom lens and started off to find the honkers.

I was side-tracked by the beauty of the lake. Have you ever wondered how many shades of green there are? I found an interesting website where optical scientists and physicists discussed that very question- the consensus being there are an infinite number of shades although humans can only differentiate about a million of them. Amazing! Okay, back to the honkers...

I spotted this lone Mallard duck... but heard him quack, not "HOONNKKK!" so I continued on down the path.

I spied this beautiful white egret wading in a shallow area of the lake... still no honking.

As I rounded a bend in the path I heard that distinctive sound again... and discovered a family (or two) of Canada Geese- not "Canadian Geese" as many people call them! I love that Canada Geese mate for life- such a picture of God's intention for man! I watched and listened for awhile and then headed on my way thinking about Matthew 6:26-27 "Look at the birds of the air; they do now sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"

I was watching a squirrel scamper up a tree when this Cardinal flew by. He (only the males are red) was a little camera shy and this was the best shot I got... but I enjoyed listening to his song for a few minutes.

As I was walking back this Great Blue Heron (the largest and most widespread heron in North America) caught my eye. He flew away shortly after I shot the picture on the left and I caught up with him again farther up the path.

While I was walking away from them, the family of Canada Geese moved to a grassy area by the lake. I think this is probably 3 mama geese and their babies since they have one brood per year with 4-7 goslings and there were about 15 or 16 babies. I noticed that one of the mamas would keep watch while the other two hunted for food. Even though I was a good 25 or 30 feet away, she kept a wary eye on me. 

Aren't they CUTE??? 


No comments:

Post a Comment