I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Monday, May 10

Happy Mother's Day!!!

Since our oldest child, Jenne, was born almost 28 years ago, I have relied on the wisdom of others for advice and support in child-rearing. Perhaps as much as anyone, Erma Bombeck has given me great insight into and perspective on my children. "When a child is locked in the bathroom with water running and he says he's doing nothing but the dog is barking, call 911." Who could possibly argue with that advice? "A child develops individuality long before he discovers taste." Have you ever stood outside a preschool classroom and watched a three year old dance around in a pink ballet tutu, a blue SeaWorld sweatshirt, green knee socks and pink glitter jellies because they are all her favorite clothes? "Children make your life important." I don't think she was saying that being childless means your life is unimportant or meaningless. Instead, I think she was alluding to the fact that children are a blessing- or as the psalmist put it, "Children are a gift from the Lord, they are a reward from Him." (Psalm 127:3). It is, indeed, a great reward to have grown children that you love and enjoy being with.

This Mother's Day, Janne and Adam surprised me with an outing to Annapolis, the capitol of Maryland. Annapolis is a very old city, dating back to the mid-1600's. We marveled at the old architecture, the beautiful brick buildings, huge trees... and crowded streets!

What a beautiful church!

Main Street, Annapolis! 
Although the buildings have all been modernized (electricity, plumbing, etc), they have maintained the historic feel of the city.

After a quick lunch, it was time for my "surprise"- a 90 minute cruise on the Severn River (which empties into Chesapeake Bay)! The air was crisp and cool (about 64 degrees) and "breezy"- although in Arizona we would say it was "windy!" We boarded our boat (ship?) and settled in on the aft deck.

Me (yes, I do own a jacket!), Adam, Janne and Richard

We sailed past many beautiful homes- this was one of my favorites.

There is something about an American flag waving in the wind that makes me want to stand up and sing "The Star-Spangled Banner"... but I refrained!

Jenne gave me a cookbook (with many recipes I am anxious to try!) for Mother's Day when we were at Ft. Bragg last weekend. She wished me a "Happy Mother's Day" this morning before we left for Annapolis. And then, later in the evening after all her kids were in bed, she called and gave me another gift- an hour long phone call with NO interruptions!! If there is one thing we do well, it is talk on the phone!

Yes, we have an old-fashioned phone with a cord! At first I didn't like it because I couldn't do anything else while I talked on the phone- but now I really like it because I can't do anything else while I talk on the phone. If you call, you know you have my undivided attention!

I am incredibly blessed to have grown children who want to spend time with me, who call "just to talk." That is a priceless gift- and one I am quite thankful for. It was a fabulous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment