I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Thursday, March 17

thankful thursday - what a lovely thing a rose is!

I think one of the great mysteries in life is growing a rose bush. I have written about it several times - a rose by any other name  is the story of acquiring my first rose bush.

My personal gardener (aka my sweet hubby) prunes my rose bush in mid-February cutting it way back, sometimes to sticks. By mid-March it leafs out and is covered in blooms, both large and small. Why?

The rest of the year I pretty much leave it alone with the occasional treat of coffee grounds mixed into the soil around it or a dose of fertilizer. It continues to bloom until the weather gets really frosty, usually in late December or January.

I would think it would bloom even more with more TLC but that has not been my experience. For some mysterious reason she's just low maintenance.

roses collage

Most girls like to get flowers. The roses on my rose bush are flowers from God - they are His creation and I am thankful. I enjoy their beauty and their sweet scent. Arthur Conan Doyle (of Sherlock Holmes fame) was absolutely correct when he wrote, "What a lovely thing a rose is!"

No comments:

Post a Comment