I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Monday, December 20

Christmas Lights

Last night we went to see...

Zoo Lights

We've been to Zoo Lights at the Phoenix Zoo many times... sometimes in our shorts... but here at the Smithsonian National Zoological Park (commonly called the National Zoo!), we bundled up with pull-over fleece, heavy coat, gloves and scarf before heading out to see what we were sure would be a spectacular display. It was chilly (about 27 degrees) and we could see our breath as we exhaled. 

animal collage
Most of the displays were just rope lights on wire outlines like these. The birds did appear to fly across the walkway... although my time-exposure doesn't show it. Two of the exhibits like these were set to music- if you got there at the right time.

There were some pretty trees that had lights on the trunks and branches. Strangely, these were not set to music- but they were pretty to walk by.

tree with snow


Multi-colored tree with moon
The almost full moon added some pretty light of its own...

Eerie tree
My favorite moonscape!

We concluded that the light display was not as good as ones we've seen at the Phoenix Zoo... although the nearly-full moon did make for some interesting shots. The highlight of the outing, for Richard, was discovering the place inside the zoo that sells hot mini-donuts... piping hot morsels of sugary cinnamon-crusted dough that melt in your mouth. He figured out, for future reference, which entrance to drive into so that I could jump out, run about 100 yards to pick up mini-donuts and sprint back to the car before they cooled off! Yeah, they were that good!!

donut
As I sat munching my divinely delicious donut, I paused to contemplate the real Light of Christmas... "Jesus said, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'" (John 8:12) 

1 comment:

  1. The donuts look DELISH! I'm sorry it wasn't as good as Phoenix's - I haven't been to the one in Phoenix in forever. We should go again!

    ReplyDelete