I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Wednesday, December 1

Happy Holly!

Did you know that holly grows on trees? Well, actually, it is a tree- or shrub, depending on how it is pruned. I was astonished to discover that for myself! Holly grows wild throughout the northeast and we have seen a lot of it as we've explored Civil War battlefields.

Holly
Holly and Christmas go together like soup and a sandwich!

Holly is a traditional Christmas plant often used in wreaths. Christian tradition says that the pointy leaves represent the thorns of Christ's crown, the perennial green leaves represent eternal life and the red berries represent Christ's blood shed for our salvation. As this Christmas season approaches, I will remember this bit of Christian folklore as a way to keep CHRIST in CHRISTmas!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I've never actually seen real holly! Thanks for sharing. Got your Christmas letter today, too! So glad to read that one of your DDs will soon be near you here in AZ too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always find such randomly awesome facts :)

    ReplyDelete