I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Thursday, January 30

50 shades of summer - august (part 2)

The next five items we did in August on my 50 shades of summer list are places we visited. We spent an entire year traveling around the state of Arizona in 2012 but only one place on our summer list was out of town. It was fun to visit a new place and rediscover a couple of "old" ones.

Butterfly Wonderland (#50) in north Scottsdale opened in the spring of 2013 and features the largest butterfly pavilion in America. This was my first time to visit and I must admit it is pretty impressive! I watched brand new butterflies emerge from their chrysalises and saw butterflies native to tropical rain forests. The only downside is that it is very humid - like dripping wet, hits-you-in-the-face-like-a-wet-blanket humid - inside the butterfly pavilion. Fortunately, you can walk in and out as many times as you'd like and see some of the other exhibits in between.

Butterfly Wonderland Collage
Yes, that's steam rising in the pavilion! I was told it is what gives the butterflies their vibrant color.

Nothing says summertime like watching a baseball game and I try to get to at least one Diamondbacks game every summer. I love that their ball field (Chase Field - although it will forever be BOB to me!) has a retractable roof which is closed in the hot part of the summer and I can watch the game in air-conditioned comfort! We rode the light rail (sorry, no photo!) and had dinner downtown (#30) at the ballpark  - a Windy City dog! MmmmMmmm!!

game collage
The Diamondbacks played the Padres the night we were there (8/28 and #16 on my list). Unfortunately, no amount of my cheering helped them and they lost 5-1.

The Grand Canyon is one of my favorite places in Arizona and we usually go to the South Rim because it is so much closer. This summer, a trip to the North Rim (#2) was in order. We went with friends of ours and introduced them to the wonders of the North Rim making it their favorite rim as well!

Grand Canyon Collage
Mike, Laurie, Richard and I spent a weekend at the North Rim. It is the cooler (as in temperature, but also as in more rad!), greener, more vibrant rim - and my personal favorite! As an added bonus, it rained while we were there - nothing like watching the rain pour down in the middle of the canyon while you stay perfectly dry on the rim!

It had been more than five years since I was at the Arizona Museum of Natural History (#36) and it was an excellent way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Visiting a museum is a fun way to stay cool during the heat of the summer!  We enjoyed walking through the dinosaur, Native Americans in Arizona and Arizona animals exhibits. 

dino museum collage
I think the "autosaurs" were my favorite dinosaurs. They are made entirely of recycled automobile parts! And, of course, Richard cannot resist "playing" with the more conventional dinosaurs!

 I highly recommend both exploring new places and going back to places you've been and liked. You never know when you'll find a new favorite! Establishments change things up periodically to keep visitors coming back and nature is constantly changing. Either way new adventures await you!

No comments:

Post a Comment