I started this blog at the urging of friends and family in April 2010 when my husband and I were given an opportunity to relocate in Maryland for one year. We have now returned home to Arizona and continue to walk by faith as we watch God orchestrate the adventures in our lives. I invite you to share in our adventures as we watch God at work!

We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7



Friday, January 31

50 shades of summer… august (part 5)

The challenge in coming up with my 50 shades of summer list was having a variety of things on the list. I wanted to include things that used my brain (working a jigsaw puzzle or learning a new card game), things that used my senses (cooking, watching a sunset/sunrise), things that were relaxing (watching movies, reading), etc. These next four items were things that stirred my creativity.

The pottery painting stores have always intrigued me. I took my youngest daughter and her friend one time - a long time ago- and had fun but never went back by myself or with my friends which is why painting pottery (#49) made my list. I went with a friend (thanks, Laurie, for the encouragement!) and had a great time. I knew exactly what I wanted to make - a small bowl/dish to use as a candy dish. I am not very gifted in the painting department so chose to do the inside white (I don't remember the exact shade of white - there are about a hundred!) and the outside a shade of purple. The challenge was that the color it goes on is not the color it will be once it's fired. Fortunately they had tiles that showed the post-firing color which helped. I added some dots (the extent of my originality) and left it to be fired.

pottery collage
I love the way my candy dish turned out!

I enjoy two very different kinds of needle crafts but seldom make time to do anything with them. Soon after we got married I made Christmas stockings for the two of us using felt appliqué and sequin kits. I discovered I really enjoyed putting them together, using different embroidery stitches, watching the sequins add depth and sparkle and have since made eleven stockings (one for each of our daughters, their husbands and our grandchildren). I found a felt appliqué/sequin ornament kit and decided to use it to make a Christmas ornament (#23).  The best part? An ornament comes together much quicker than a stocking!

The other needle craft I enjoy is crocheting - ok, technically it's a hook, not a needle. Making a blanket (#46) was pretty quick once I decided to do a car seat blankie for our newest granddaughter expected to arrive in November. I wanted to practice before making her a bigger blankie - and the car seat one was just the right size!

sewing collage
I had fun making these projects - and can't wait to make the bigger blankie!

Sewing (with my sewing machine) is a love-hate relationship. I love it when everything works out  right (no measurement mistakes, broken needles, tension issues, etc.) and hate it when it doesn't! I put making a valence (#7) on my list so that I would get it done. Richard replaced the baseboards and repainted my office before we replaced the carpet in the spring. My window valence was in definite need of a facelift was well. I finally found the fabric I wanted - a black floral print on a white background - and went to work. I have made all the valences in our house for the past 26 years and, fortunately, everything worked out right so it did not take me long to do this one. The end result is an updated look to my office!

valance
I love the contrast of my new valence and how it ties everything together.

I used to think being creative meant coming up with an original artistic project. I have since come to view creativity as creating something - sometimes it's an original project and sometimes it is adding your own "flair" to an existing pattern. I had a blast letting my creative juices flow!

No comments:

Post a Comment